Our Andover House Project // Upstairs Office, and now Nursery

I recently posted images of our Nursery on my Facebook page, and decided to back track and share our journey on redoing that specific room. 

This room holds an interesting spot in mine and Darin's memories. When we bought the house this was the room we moved our mattress into and slept in for a few LONG months (wish I could find a picture!). After it being a bedroom, we converted it into our kitchen whilst working on the kitchen, dining room, and living room:


A little cramped, but it worked - the crock pot saved our lives! 


Then after that it was time to finally break open plans for it's desired purpose: The Office. In planning mode I'd hoped that someday it would be a child's room, or some type of bedroom so I wanted the closet to be transformable from office stuff to bedroom stuff. So here we go, starting off Darin replaced the window and we began ripping the trim out: 

Onto prep work to spray knockdown on the ceiling and PATCHING! I swear this room had the most nicks and nail holes in the wall I'd ever seen. We must have patched over the walls 3 to 4 times. After that, the beautiful primer to cover up the hideous purple paint.

Paint planning came after, and we started on the shiplap wall. After doing some research we chose MDF board for the planks. They were thin and seemed easy enough to work with after I built a few cabinet doors in the kitchen with them. We finish nailed them up using nickels to space them out. Picked out my lights, primed and painted!

(FYI: the MDF did an alright job, but I wouldn't use it in the future for shiplap. It tore and dented in a few places while cutting, and after spending time puttying the seams to make the strips appear as one long strip...all of the putty cracked. A learning curve, and I know plywood would have worked much better, but I was SO tired of all the sanding. In the future I'd try 1/4" plywood as I know it'd look great like it does on our bedroom ceiling!) 

Then came door trim, window trim, hallway trim (while we were at it), wood puttying, and I DIY'd the closet doors with 1/4" plywood to make them look fancy. 

We started on the floor for the hallway and bedroom on Christmas Eve, 2016! Time off is a wonderful thing and we weren't about to waste it. After the floor came closet shelving planning, installing and whatnot - plywood and pine boards of course! 

Lastly came the floor trim. And yes, I primed and painted ALL of it in our living room without a drop cloth! ;) 


And, BAM. We had an office! 

It lasted quite a few months as our Office. Not this empty of course - I promise in future posts to photograph the rooms FULL of furniture in their prime haha. The desk in the photos stayed right where it is - it was the first piece of moveable furniture I built, and the first thing I ever built with drawers (fewf it was nerve-wracking!). 

When I found out we were pregnant in April, 2o17 I begged Darin to try and get the room in the basement finished so we could turn this room into Nursery. It was spring at that time, and we had a HUGE list of things to get done outside for the year. It was a BUSY summer, but we managed to cross off almost everything on our list plus the Basement Office in late November! 

So here's our little babe's room! 



And here I sit, 40 weeks and 2 days pregnant with this little guy. In all honesty, I am tired of waiting, but I also know that God's timing is perfect. After he arrives our lives will have changed forever, so we're trying our best to soak up the quiet nights & our alone time together.


As always, thanks for reading and keeping up with our journey. 

My next post will most likely be of our little guy, so stay tuned!!